SRP Retrocommissioning Solutions
Get a tune-up and save.
The SRP Retrocommissioning Solutions program was created to help our commercial and industrial customers implement energy efficiency measures that could save help them save up to 15% on their energy bills.
What is retrocommissioning?
Retrocommissioning is a systematic process for “tuning up” the major components of a building to improve energy efficiency. These are no- and low-cost efficiency measures with an estimated total project payback within two years or less based on energy savings.
Retrocommissioning has many benefits. Here are a few:
- Energy and cost savings
- Improved equipment performance and extended life
- Increased productivity and asset value
- Improved occupant comfort and indoor air quality
- Increased operations and maintenance (O&M) staff capabilities and expertise
- Improved building documentation
Mid-sized facilities building tune-up
For buildings that are at least 15,000 ft2, the program can help you take measures such as:
- Corrections to HVAC and lighting equipment operating schedules
- Adjustments to air-side economizer operation and minimum percentage of outdoor air intake
- Repairs to air-side economizer sensors and damper actuators
- Additions of direct-expansion outside-air lookout controls
Customers must commit to spending at least $500 to implement identified measures.
Traditional retrocommissioning & Monitoring-Based Commissioning
For facilities over 50,000 ft2, customers must commit to spending at least $3,000 to implement identified measures. For facilities over 150,000 ft2 or 3 million kWh of annual usage, customers can choose to participate in the Monitoring-Based Commissioning (MBCx), which allows for additional data collection and greater energy savings. Both processes target a wide range of possible measures, including:
- HVAC components, including checking economizers, confirming and adjusting set points for temperature and static pressure, verifying system scheduling, and eliminating simultaneous heating and cooling
- Central plant, including sequencing and scheduling systems and using chilled- and condenser-water reset strategies
- Lighting systems, including fine-tuning existing controls
- Compressed air, refrigeration and process equipment optimization
Traditional and Monitoring-Based (MBCx) Retrocommissioning Solutions provide a rebate for large facilities of $0.05/kWh saved in the first year + $150 per average peak kW reduced. The program also pays for the analysis, diagnostics and technical assistance provided for all customers, including Building Tune-up customers.
In addition to the incentives above, MBCx customers will receive 50% of the cost, up to $15,000, to pay for integrating monitoring software and hardware. Another 50%, up to $15,000, is available upon successful completion of an MBCx project. New construction buildings are eligible for 100% of the cost, up to $12,000, for integrating monitoring software and hardware on new buildings.
To participate in the program, you must be an SRP customer enrolled in an eligible nonresidential retail electric price plan. In addition:
- Mid-sized facilities building tune-up: Buildings must be at least 15,000 ft2, at least 2 years old and use package HVAC units.
- Traditional retrocommissioning & MBCx: Buildings must be at least 50,000 ft2, at least two years old and have a functional energy management system. There is one exception: New construction buildings that are at least 150,000 ft2 can qualify for monitoring-based commissioning.
The building owner, along with O&M staff, must express a commitment to be actively involved in the retrocommissioning process.
How to participate
- Submit a completed program application and supporting documents for review and approval by SRP.
- Sign the SRP Commitment to Proceed and the Alliance Contractor Agreement, if applicable.
- Submit a completed project application for review and approval by SRP.
- Supply building documentation and support SRP's information collection process.
Integrate MBCx software with current EMS.
- Provide required data trending and retrieval for relevant building systems, equipment, set points and operations as requested.
- Assist with SRP' s investigation activities.
- Contract or arrange the implementation activities.
- Manage the completion of recommended measures.
- Support the SRP verification process.
If you have questions or are ready to get started, please contact our retrocommissioning program administrator, Darren Gest, directly at (480) 768-6989 or email@example.com.
Disclaimer: Retrocommissioning rebates are not eligible for prior customer-funded retrocommissioning activities or without necessary preapprovals.
Customers can participate in multiple SRP Business Solutions programs, but are subject to an overall rebate cap of $300,000 per customer per program year – May 1 through April 30. SRP reserves the right to determine which year a rebate is credited to. Please note: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, there could be delays in the processing and/or distribution of rebates.